Carers Information, Advice and Advocacy
You're a carer if you’re looking after someone who couldn’t manage without your help.
As a carer you have a right to have your own needs assessed, to see where you may need support. Find out about Carer's Assessments on the East Sussex County Council website.
Care for the Carers is an independent charity which has been supporting and representing unpaid carers in East Sussex since 1989. They have
- online resources
- people you can talk to
- pop-up carers clinics
- counselling or one-to-one support
- activities and events
- information about a range of respite options for when you need a break
East Sussex County Council has information and resources on its website for people who are looking after someone (carers) including
- Carer's assessments
- Carer's personal budget
- A guide to respite care
- Carer's card
- Carer's allowance
- Training for carers
- Whole family budget
- Information and advice
- Young carers
- Young carer's personal budget
- Supporting people who have a learning disability or autism
- Managing someone's affairs
- Cancelling care and support services
Get a Carers Card
The Care for the Carers website explains how and where the card can be used, but in summary it
- tells the emergency services that you are a carer
- offers savings and discounts for carers at a range of retail and leisure venues - see the directory on the Care for the Carers website for the full list.
- can be used to set up a CRESS (Carers Respite Emergency Support Service) plan
To find out how to apply for a Card, visit the East Sussex County Council website.
Discounted parking at hospitals
Unpaid carers with an East Sussex Carers Card can access cheaper parking rates at Eastbourne District General Hospital, and Conquest Hospital in Hastings. See the Carers Card Directory for the current rates.
Show your Card at the parking warden's cabin before leaving to get the discount.
Advocacy is having someone to support you. Find all organisations offering an advocacy service on 1Space.
Was this information helpful?